Sunday, April 17, 2011

Things Might Be Looking Up

By now, you know that I love watching the boys sleep and I can't get enough low-light, no-flash phone pictures. Sadly, Bean hasn't been giving me much opportunity lately. He's sick with a particularly nasty cough and cold. He had a horrific night last night with very little sleep. When he woke up for the day, he was even more miserable. So, as I suspected, I needed to give him the rx that we filled yesterday.

I didn't think it would be too big of a deal. It was three tiny pills that needed to be crushed and mixed with food, so my plan was to mix it with his favorite food - coconut milk yogurt. Simple, right? Wrong.

Spoonful 1: Gag, gulp, disgusted look on his face.

Spoonful 2: Projectile vomit.

There was still a good bit left, but I didn't dare proceed. Instead, I called the doctors office to see if there were any alternatives and took him upstairs for a bath. The bath made him much happier and the nurse suggested that I try to get the rest of the dose in to him and then bring him in again tomorrow if he wasn't any better. Oh, and we should head to the ER if he gets really bad tonight. Fun.

So, after his bath and his tummy had time to settle, I tried again. I got another two spoonfuls in before he stopped opening his mouth. I didn't want him to get sick again, so I took another break and we settled in for an afternoon nap.

He was so exhausted from two days with very little sleep so it didn't take much for him to pass out. He was still really restless though and kept waking up every twenty-thirty minutes coughing and crying. But I was able to get a couple of cute, poorly lit and executed phone pictures to feed my addiction. What's wrong with me?!?!

He woke for good and was very unhappy after a couple of hours. After he settled down, I tried the med again. He fought it, but I got it in. He then proceeded to eat a good amount of (medicine-free) coconut milk yogurt and pears for dinner. He refused to eat anything else. I'm just happy he ate something, anything.

It seems like he's starting to feel better. His cough is still bad but sounds different. His chest is not as rattley (is that a word?). He seems happier and is be-bopping around the house. I think the steroid is working but I'm reserving judgement until tonight. I'm hoping for a peaceful night for Bean with lots of sleep and no trips to the ER or visits to the doctor in the morning.

Maybe, just maybe, things are looking up.


  1. He looks just like an angel.....if I was there I'd be given 'em real sloppy wet kisses....

    Dewey Dewster here.....

  2. That's because he IS an angel! I think I spoke too soon, though. He is NOT having a good night. Ugh!